>After reading Michael's request for recommendations for his "right
>frame size," and if I'm interpreting Rivendell's sizing chart
>correctly (?), will Michael's pbh clearance above the top tube on a
>57cm Hilsen be about 7mm, with a 35mm Pasela?
>
>At what point, for road and/or country bikes, does pbh clearance
>become a safety factor for the rider?

The answer is simple: Standover clearance never is a safety issue
even for an only mildly experienced rider. There was a Bicycle
Quarterly article on this issue a few years back. Here is a short
synopsis.

Background: Most of my bikes have marginal or no stand-over
clearance. My 9-year-old son's bike doesn't have standover clearance
either. My bikes were sized that way to get the handlebars to about
1-2" below the saddle without riser stems, sloping top tubes or huge
quills showing. On my son's bike, it's simply a matter of trying to
find a lightweight (<30 lb.) kid's bike with a geometry suitable to
slow speeds. The bike is too big for him, but he is rectifying this
by growing like a beanstalk. (We reduced the reach by replacing the
drop bars with cut-down mtb bars, but we couldn't shorten the seat
tube.)

When you stop a bike, it is very difficult to jump off with both
feet. In fact, riders new to toeclips or clipless pedals sometimes
fall down because they get _zero_ feet on the ground. Once you
realize that you put only one foot down when you stop, standover
clearance no longer is an issue. When you put one foot down, you also
have to lean the bike to prevent it from falling (the bike and your
leg on the ground form a triangle), which lowers the top tube a lot.
You also move your pelvis to the side, and off the "dangerous" top
tube. If your top tube is _way_ too high, you will simply lean the
bike a little further when you stop. My son did fall once when he
first rode his new bike. However, your private parts never are in
danger.

After you have put one foot down, you can put a second foot down, and
some riders do. If you don't have standover clearance, your foot will
not reach the ground. Since you already are standing and bracing
yourself and your bike with one leg, you will not fall.

Off-road, the "two feet down" situation is best avoided. In Simon
Burney's original edition of "Cyclocross", there is a lovely photo of
a rider straddling his bike after having failed to ride up a steep
hill. The caption reads something like "This rider is trapped - can't
get going, can't dismount. He should have dismounted before his
momentum was lost."

As I said, even my son, whose saddle at first was as low as the
seatpost would go, with the center section of the sloping top tube
almost at saddle level, never hurt his private parts from lack of
standover clearance, and he is _not_ an expert cyclist.

One exception is starting on a tandem. If you like to have the stoker
put both feet on the pedals, it is useful to straddle the bike. You
can do this with marginal standover clearance, as you won't jump onto
the tandem.

 From my experience, standover clearance is not a safety issue. The
CPSC recommendation is one of many questionable ones. It appears that
they even requested a lip on a Campagnolo front derailleur to prevent
people getting hurt by the cage. Right next to the front derailleur
is a chainring with super-sharp teeth, so it's hard to see how the
straight front derailleur cage makes a bike more dangerous...

Something that can kill you - and almost did kill a friend on one of
my bikes once - is toe overlap. The CPSC is silent on that, and most
experienced riders probably can deal with it in most situations.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
140 Lakeside Ave #C