It was the basket, bro.  "Dudes" and "guys" may ride Quickbeams (fixed
gears are very hip), but only old guys heading home from the coop use
baskets.  That's MHO.

P.S.  On a related note, I rode my Rivendell Road to the Vallejo ferry
and into SF on Saturday.  Once I arrived in SF, several people made a
point of telling me what a nice bike it is.  I told them all "thank
you."

P.P.S.  I don't have a basket on the Riv, and none of those people
called me "sir."

--Eric
www.wheelsnorth.org
www.campyonly.com