I had at one time felt as though there was something that would fill
all my cycling needs, but I have long since abandoned that idea.
There are more reasons to have a lot of bikes than there are reasons
to have just one, and if they all get used and help supersede trips-by-
car, then as far as I'm concerned they can be said to be worth it.

For me, that means having a fast club-ride bike, a rain bike, a cx
race bike, a full-suspension mt.bike, my new and vintage steel to ride
with the wife, plus her road and mt. bikes.

That's a lot of bikes in the garage, but they all get used, and we get
great enjoyment out of them, plus they are cheaper to operate than a
car.