You ask about "responsibility" and therefore the moral issue. Note that IMO
the question is not merely about the money, its about the money as used for
a particular purpose.

The guiding moral principle is to buy only what will reasonably use. If you
plan to put miles on it and keep it for a long time, I don't see that it is
irresponsible, given Rivendell bicycles' undoubted good handling and build
qualities. To buy it for reasons of prestige, even if subtle, would be
wrong, but with bikes I think that is largely a male sin.

$4,000 for a toy or on a whim is foolish; $4K on something that will be a
useful and pleasing tool for a lifetime is not, IMO. (And if you can get
one nicely built for $4K, I'd say that was a pretty good deal.) Moreover,
Rivendells are built, assembled,and sold by people paid fair wages with
marketing costs that (I gather) are relatively minuscule, so you are
getting quality and fair pricing, and not merely prestige pricing.

I've skirted and indeed far overshot the "irresponsible" boundary myself on
many occasions and for many things, and to some degree I've learned my
lesson.

I've never owned an Atlantis, but I've owned in total 5 Rivendells, and I
know their quality and ride.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Emily Hutchinson
<ehutchinson...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to talk myself into or out of a really pretty new Atlantis
> with all it's parts. It would be the smaller frame because I'm short and
> average weight 130. The price tag is somewhere around 4000 all said and
> done and I feel stuck. My gut is pushing me in both directions because I've
> never ridden an Atlantis. I'm also out of country and can't just go find
> one to try. I love touring and I'd love to do some long international and
> national tours and live in Colorado with hills. Okay thanks.Someone help
> tip me! Is it irresponsible to spend this much money?

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis