Well, I think when I was young I had a bike with a banana seat and ape
hangers and it was called The Good Buddy or something. Broke that frame
after a year or so.

When in grade school I had some no name 10 speed. It was black and I rode
that everywhere. Broke that frame ghost riding it off a hill.

When in college I got into mountain biking and bought some sort of steel
Fuji. Rode that for a year, broke that frame crashing into a tree.

Then in 1996 I saved up my money and I bought a 1996 Stumpjumper, installed
a Judy XC fork and some light saddle and rode that for a long time. Still
have that bike but it is in parts.

In 2001 I went back to school and bought a Jamis Aurora. I used that for
commuting and did a little touring on it. Had that bike when I got hitched,
rode sparingly because ...life got in the way.

I bought a Trek 7.5fx in 2008 or 09, can't really remember. I rode that
bike with my wife, solo, friends all over the place. Really a good bike.

Started reading about Rivendell, my friend had a A. Homer Hilsen and I
thought it was awesome, so I started saving up the pennies again but I
built the Jamis up to be Riv like with mustache bars, B17, friction
shifters. Eventually I bought an orange/Canti 48cm Sam Hillborne on some
member only sale that Riv had and have ridden that bike a ton. Built it
with noodles, bar end shifters, 7 speed Phil "Rivy" - Dyad wheels,  I used
it for club riding, rails to trails, commuting, slow rides with the wife,
long s24os...everything. Then I noticed I would really like a club riding
bike, built light and agile, so I can continue with the club but also have
a bike that does touring and commuting well. I bought a Roadeo, got it
painted Ram orange, built it up with Ultegra 6800 and some lighter weight
wheels. The Sam is morphing into a more upright bike, permanently racked
and bagged...thinking of some dyno lights too and maybe boscoe or alba
bars.

If I was going to buy another bike, I would think about a Hunqapillar or a
Cheviot built up as a mountain bike.