Forgive me if this is not an original thought; I have few of those.
The recent thread regarding All Rounders, how many bikes were needed,
etc., reminds me of the incredible diversity of bicycles that can all
do many of the same things.  On our recent Mulholland ride, we had
fixed, IGH, doubles, triples, touring, country, MTB, a beautiful
custom, etc.  In a world of increasingly specialized tools for
everything, The Bicycle, in a variety of flavors, can still do it
all.  And we were at most maybe 10 minutes apart?  Usually closer,
indicating not a huge performance difference.

Before each one of these rides, there's a flurry of postings regarding
appropriate bike, tires, gearing for the fixed guys, etc.  What if we
all brought the LEAST appropriate bike to the next ride?  OK, you get
to stuff the plumpest tires you can into the racing frame 'cause you
know we'll wander off the pavement at some point.  And if you happen
to have a beach cruiser you can leave that home.  I'll bet we all
still have a great time and what photos we'd have!  Not to mention the
full suspension MTBers we'd run into.

BTW, these are no-drop rides, with frequent re-groups, if that helps
encourage participation.  Remember, you're not really lost if you know
what country you're in.

dougP