I have done this.   It takes at least a half dozen ties to get the job
done.  I also found it helpful to under warp the basket with old pieces of
HB tape, which gave the wire more heft to secure the velcro tightly.

My next project with a bike involves putting cable connectors at each
coupler on the tandem, so that when I disconnect them ( as I did this week
to put the bike in the Prius and head out to Chincoteague) I can simply
wrap a piece of velcro around the tube and cable, rather than having to
coil and tie off the cables.

Michael