So it was, after all, the rivets.  They aren't hex screws any more.  The
rivets were not allowing the spacer to do it's job properly, resulting in
some wobble in the cassette.  Since I tightened the living snot out of the
cassette (a different story for a different time, but, suffice to say, the
correct torque to put on the cassette is N-1, where N=how much torque I put
on it) the spacer had a couple ridges, LBS filed those ridges out,
everything is a-ok now.