From: Bill Lindsay
Sent: Apr 25, 2014 1:09 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RBW] Re: Heron: Why the incorrect info about tire clearance?

It is a huge bummer when you think you're going to run a 35 and find that a 32 barely fits.

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:28:00 PM UTC-7, Jim Martin wrote:
Hello All:

I just purchased a beautiful used 1999 Waterford built Heron and you can see the sellers ad here. Before buying it I looked at the archived version of the Heron website for 99 and read:
"A Heron Road has lots of the same features as a Rivendell, and is just as versatile. You can put fenders on it or ride it with 700x35s on bad roads and fire trails, and you can race it on a smooth course."

So imagine my surprise when I tried to install my wheels with 32mm Conti Sport Contact tires. And found that they are within about a half a mm of the rear brake bridge. No way you could ride a 35mm tire. Certainly can't ride the 32's with fenders and its hard to know if I can get fenders and 28mm tires to work either. Why the misleading information? I'm not blaming the seller because, after going straight to the web site, I already "knew" about tire clearance I didn't bother to ask him. So much for my trust in all things related to Rivendell.

Jim