I'm defining "sporty" and "nimble" as a bike that is designed to be ridden
primarily on pavement, in a way that involves a lot of
acceleration/deceleration, a lot of twists and turns in the road and a lot
of sharp corners.  The bike would rarely if ever be ridden for hours or
tens of miles and most rides would be less than 10 miles.  Maybe some MTB's
fit this description.  Maybe some city bikes qualify?   I would be
interested in hearing about actual bikes that meet this criteria as well as
general design ideas.

Some major points I'm curious about:

Frame material:  Steel, Aluminum, Carbon?
Wheel size:  limited to a choice between 26", 650B and 700c (because I want
a bike like this and prefer to stick to the big 3).
Tire width?
Specific geometry features:  short chainstays, long chainstays, high BB,
low BB, etc.....

I have some ideas about what would make a bike like I describe but my
experience in riding different models is tiny.  I know a lot of people here
have a lot of experience riding different bikes plus the inclination to
understand why those bikes ride the way they do.

I look forward to hearing people's opinions.