I've put together a dedicated kit for each bike, so I don't have to think
before leaving the house. Each kit includes:

Multi tool with real, usable, allen wrenches
        The Park AWS-11 is a favorite, but any set of basic metric hardware
store wrenches like this will do:

http://www.amazon.com/7-PC-METRIC-FOLDING-ALLEN-WRENCH/dp/B004HM9IKK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1398827415&sr=8-5&keywords=metric+folding+allen+wrench+set)

Chain Tool
        A real one.
        Park CT-5C or Rivoli are favorites, but I've used others.
        I won't cary a multi-took chain tool. No matter how light they make
them, the all weight too much as I've never seen one that actually works.

8mm allen adapter for 6mm allen wrench
        for crank bolts. I've never needed to use this tool, but when the day
comes BAM! I'll be the guy who planned well for 30 years and THAT will be my
time to shine.

8 and 10mm box wrenches

Small Screwdriver
        With reversible slotted/philips tip

Tire levers

Spare tube
        Wrapped nicely in a spare cloth so I have something to clean my hands
with when the tube swap is complete.

Patch Kit
        Only the smallest dime size patches will do.

Collection of M5 Bolts
        in case something shakes loose.

Old Power Bar wrapper to be used as tire boot if needed.
        Adds no appreciable weight and I've never needed it.

Hugh Flynn
Newburyport, MA