That sounds a very reasonable approach to me, given the QB's lower bb. Note
that if you decide you like fixed off road, nice mtbs from the immediately
pre suspension era are still relatively available and cheap, and with an
ENO hub'd wheel and some 60 mm tires, you'd be all set. One of the nicest
handling (of its kind, of course) bikes that I've owned is that very early
'90s Diamond Back Axis Team that I blather on about so much, converted to
fixed with Eno hub and sporting 60 mm Big Apples, a 64" gear, and Noodles.

Tho' I have to admit that while I love ss off road, I hated fixed off road.

As for gearing, you may well find that you develop a penchant for gears
higher than you now anticipate. I know I'd rather stand, or walk, than
twiddle futilely and despairingly in too low a gear on the flats.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:

> After email Grant and talking with Mark and Kevin at Rivendell today I've
> decided on a more conservative approach to fixed gear:
>
> -- Get used to the bike and its pedal clearance with SS.
> -- Try fixed after a while, once I know pedal clearance will work where
> I'm riding.
>
> Basic message from both of them is: The QB is designed as a SS bike, not a
> fixed. If it was designed as a fixed, especially for rougher terrain, it
> would have bigger tires and higher BB to prevent pedal crashes in turns and
> on rocks/roots, etc.
>
> While I'm curious to test how fixed and vertigo get along, I want to do so
> as safely as possible. This seems the prudent way to accomplish this.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis