Your right, of course.

I've been using the derailler for chain tension with 1 cog for the last few
months. It's a clumsy solution though. I'm constantly hitting the bar end
shifter on something and knowing the chain off the cog. And I must
be missing out on some of the efficiency benefit of a shorter chain with
fewer bends.

The Melvin would have solved these issues, but left me without a
multi-speed bike when I want one.

Having the eccentric will hopefully give me the best of both.

Or maybe it's just an excuse to upgrade my rear wheel :)

Jay