On Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:35:57 AM UTC-7, Anne Paulson wrote:

> When I had that exact symptom, the rim was unsafely worn out on the
> braking surface. The rim needed to be replaced. I suspect if you've got
> 16000 miles on it, that rim has met its maker and needs a decent burial.

I second that. When your rim gets wider, it means it's bowing outward. At
the seam is where it's easiest to bow, since the rim is split there. You
probably are just a few brake maneuvers away from the rim suddenly
cracking, and a part of the sidewall breaking away. I am surprised that a
front rim lasted only 16,000 miles, but it all depends on the conditions,
and, of course, on how thick that sidewall was to begin with.

After you've replaced the rim, you can cut it in half and see how much
material you had left...

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com