That's very true about the choice of tires! I had "armored" tires on the
Atlantis when I lived in Chinle, Arizona and they felt every bit of armored
when riding on pavement (but they did a stunning job of preventing
punctures from goat-heads!). I feel that I mitigated the on-pavement
effects of the heavy, stiff tires by running at quite low pressures. I've
just acquired a set of 38c Barlow Pass tires and will be test riding those
in the next couple of days.