You are right, of course. Tread patterns and construction do affect rolling
resistance - just look at the Col de la Vie tires which use the same casing
as the Pasela, but the micro-knob pattern makes them significantly
slower... It's just that unless you go to knobbies, the tread pattern isn't
as significant as other factors, but as you point out, that doesn't make it
unimportant.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com