I think the real advantage of the wider tires are their dirt road comfort
and flotation.  I've had many miles on JB Greens and really like the tire
and it performs pretty good off road. But, the wider tires are some much
more secure on dirt that it's worth the extra weight. That said, I hate TCO
and I'd get another bike to make the wider tires work.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca.