I've become a fan of Opinel Knives:

http://www.opiknife.com

Wooden-handled pocket knives, made in France (I know, I know, the
carbon footprint...) and available in several sizes. I found my first
one years ago, in the saddlebag of an old bike abandoned at our shop.
I had it sharpened at my local knife store, and it lives in my tool
box as an excellent utility knife. I purchsed a second one that I
carry in my pocket. No. 7 and 8 are good pocket sizes, though smaller
and larger versions are available. It's a basic, utilitarian and very
smart design. And rather affordable; my newer No. 8 with a steel blade
cost me about 12 bucks.
Beth