Amen to this! I was commuting 15 miles each way on beaters when my '03 Curt
Goodrich custom was hanging on the wall gathering dust. I had local builder
Dave Porter add Campy 1010s, fix-ified it, and commuted on it for 2 years,
with great pleasure. It's still my errand bike of choice.

Mencken also said: "Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives
under."