Yes, cyclists don't wear helmets in Europe and Asia...and they ride much
more than we do. Studies have repeatedly shown that helmet laws and even
volunteer "wear a helmet" campaigns REDUCE ridership. Reduced ridership
makes the remaining cyclists less safe. It is well established that
increased ridership makes biking safer for all cyclists, helmeted or not. I
usually wear a helmet, but we (the cycling community) need to stop
demonizing cyclists who don't wear helmets. The "Helmet Wars" make all
cyclists less safe by decreasing ridership and by making bicycling look
much more dangerous than it really is.

The helmet police need to back off for their own safety and the safety of
everyone else. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but really! The next
time I hear someone berating a cycling publication for a picture of a
helmet-less rider I'm going to puke!

OMG! You let your kid walk to school without a helmet? Bad Parent! You
drive your kid to school in your car without helmets for everybody! Are you
crazy!

Doug