Originally I built the Privateer with Albatross, bar end shifters, Maxxis
Refuse x 28 mm tires, Shimano Sora triple, and Wellgo dual sided
platform/SPD pedals. I tried every fit variable over and over again and
could never get truly comfy on Abatross and bar ends. So next I went to my
favorite compact drop bars and brifters. Ahhh, now it was becoming a bike I
could appreciate. But it still felt sort of slow and clunky for the kind of
fast club riding I do, and do mostly on my ti and my carbon. I know the
Privateer frame and fork at $350 should not turn into a truly great bike
and I was getting ready to relegate to being the town bike.

Decided to give it one last chance of staying in the preferred riding herd
and that is when I went for Grand Bois Cypres. Immediate difference in
comfort and speed. So then I removed the clunky pedals, replaced with my
much preferred Speedplay Frogs and turned it from a frog to a prince.

Today I was in Sonoma crappy on some of finest and some of the crappiest
roads around. So many patches in places there were no more spot to put
patches. It was a great ride and give most the credit to the tires. On this
bike they have made a difference I can't quite believe/understand. Seeingly
fast on the smooth and an uncanny way of lessening the impact in the crap
sections.

And for the type of riding I prefer to do; drops and brifters and Frogs
make all the differerence in the world.

A good steel frame, but I take my helmet off to Grand Bois Cypres. I am a
fan.