Jim very sorry to hear of your mechanical on a long Brevet.  I had a
similar issues with a Sugino crank and Shimano square taper bb combo,
although not as severe as yours but I did have to regularly tighten the non
drive crank to the where I got fed up and just swapped out the whole set up
for a new crank (single chain ring)  and bb  (VO grand cru) and have not
had that issue since.

Ryan