I'm guessing Riv leaves the stem not fully inserted so it doesn't get
marred or scratched prior to shipping to the owner.    That way, it's up to
the owner to set the stem height.   Riv probably would have done the same
with the seat post, but they already know the customer's saddle-height down
to the centimeter.