I took Rizzo (my Betty Foy) to my LBS today to have Bosco handlebars put
on. I wasn't sure if they'd make a difference in the pain I was feeling
while riding, but I trust the folks here (and at Riv) who suggested that I
give them a shot. I'm happy to report that all of the pain I was feeling in
my wrists is gone, as is most of the pain in my knees. I have an
appointment with a (new) physiotherapist in a week which includes a bike
fitting, so there may be further adjustments to come, but I am ever so
happy with these handlebars. I am riding upright (yay!) but my bike still
feels sprightly and quick, and still takes hills like a champion. The smile
on my face was almost as broad as the day I brought Rizzo home.

I can't thank you folks enough for the suggestions and encouragement - I'm
back in the saddle again!