Hi Jim sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm extremely interested in feedback from you
and other tall riders, I'm just not sure a wheel size available for more than
10 years and now having new lighter tires available (thus online) make it
esoteric. You can use 29" tubes in a 36" wheel by the way. Of course if you
blow a tire in the wild, there's zero chance another rider will hand you a 36er
tire, but I always take one spare in my bag on long touring rides.
To really understand why a 700c or 29er bike even custom made (I had several
made) is by definition unstable you will have to be able, like I did for years,
to compare both bikes on the same path. Believe me, after riding my DirtySixer
you will understand that you are just "making it work" on other 700c bikes as
they are adaptations from regular bikes to our longer body dimension. They are
not thought from the beginning for taller people than the belly curve of
riders.
Wheel size, geometry (wheel base etc.) and oversized tubing (even the handlebar
diameter, at the grip) makes the DirtySixer a unique, safe and fun ride. Not
only on trails (it's not a 100% mountain bike but rather 50/50 road/dirt) but
over potholes, curbs, train tracks, sand or wet leaves thanks to bigger contact
patch.
Ps: stability problems on 700c bikes comes from wheel size, rims and tires
width, head tube angle+ trail, rider position relative to the bike (or mass
distribution) wheelbase, chain stays length, axle size...
I hope to be able to go ride the DirtySixer with you some day in our fantastic
playground that is the Marin headlands.
:-)