I'm with you Andrew.

Hi-ten can be perfectly acceptable depending on the intended purpose.
I think very few Linus riders would notice or care if we replaced their
hi-ten frame with 531. Given how I might ride a Lunus if I had one, I might
very well be among those who wouldn't care.

That having been said, I'm also just as likely to pay extra for a 531
version if one were available (or at least a 4130 version).

Hugh

On Thursday, June 12, 2014, Peter Morgano <uscpeter11...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure, every boat needs an anchor, haha.
> On Jun 12, 2014 7:36 AM, "Andrew Marchant-Shapiro" <
> marchantshap...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','marchantshap...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
>> I guess that was my point.  There is a habit in cycling circles of
>> looking down our noses at hi-ten.  We refer to bike being made of "gas
>> pipe."  The point is that it's more than good enough for a lot of
>> purposes.
>>
>> On Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:01:09 AM UTC-4, Fullylugged wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi-ten steel (high tensile strength) has a tensile strength of at least
>>> 50KSI.  Chrome Moly alloys are often 100KSI or more depending on alloy and
>>> treatment. You can use a thinner wall (lighter) tube in Cr-Mo than Hi Ten.
>>> It also is a livelier material, giving a nicer feel when riding. IMO, you
>>> can take this too far. For example, Reynolds 831 is very light and strong,
>>> and also very stiff (and usually formed in larger diameter thin wall tube),
>>> which defeats the purpose for me of riding a steel bike.  I like 531
>>> myself, and the somewhat stiffer 731. YMMV. There a numerous tables around
>>> where you can compare the tensiles of various alloys.

>>>  --
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com');>.
>>
>  --

Hugh Flynn