Adding a little to what Deacon said.

1.  If it's OLD, like from the late 80s or earlier, it is not convertible.
You'll unscrew the cap and a rubber thingy will come out, along with a
spring, and maybe a flat washer, and get confused.  Too bad.  Put it back
in and get a presta valve adapter  if you want to use that pump.
2.  If it's newer than that, Deacon is right.  Under the cap you will find
a rubber part on top of a plastic part.  Remove them BOTH, invert EACH and
put them back in, plastic part first, rubber piece on top of that, then
screw cap, and Robert is your father's brother