I totally agree. As our research has shown, tire pressure is much less
important than most of us used to think. This is especially true with
supple tires. When we tested a Vittoria CX, it no longer held its line in
corners because the sidewalls collapsed before the rolling resistance goes
up significantly. These 25 mm tires had roughly the same rolling resistance
at 70 psi as at 130 psi, and everywhere in between.

So start with Berto's chart
<http://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/science-and-bicycles-1-tires-and-pressure/>and

then experiment. If you feel like you could let out some air to get a more
cushy ride on bumpy roads, do so. If you feel the tire sidewalls starting
to collapse under hard cornering, increase the pressure a bit. If your
tires feel great, just ride them. That's all.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com