Nice piece of work; I especially like the HB tape job.  Two suggestions.
 Add toe clips.  On a tandem if one person looses contact with a pedal the
partner will keep turning until it has hit the ankle a few times.  Painful.
 Better to make certain your feet are attached. My wife doesn't bother with
them on her single either but does on the tandem.

Drum brakes are very heavy and only marginally useful on long steep
downhills.  They're used to keep rims from overheating, but even riding in
the Green Mts, we have not found one to be necessary.  I do recommend using
the most powerful cantis you can get (Pauls) but tandems have an advantage
in that the rear wheel doesn't lift like a single, so that brake is more
effective than one on a single.

Whatever direction your relationship is going in, it will get there faster
on a tandem!  Keep communicating every little action.

Michael