Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

The outer edges and outer edge bottoms of my feet get sore during centuries
with sneakers and my other regular shoes. If I pedal with different areas of
the foot, the pain seems to go away.

Also, I feel like my feet got wider this year for some reason. Like I need
wider shoes now. I am almost 46. Does this happen in middle age?

I remember I didn't have the outer foot edge issues with my cycling shoes I
wore in years past, so was wondering if any cycling shoes without clipping in
would work. But some of the recommendations here sound good.

I definitely do not want to go back to clipping in. Never felt safe in them
with falling over and accidentally unclipping during standing pedalling which
is dangerous. They are great and super comfy when attached, but I don't like
the surprises. Plus I really like being able to hop off the bike and walk
around normally.