When I was stationed at Hill AFB, Utah in the 1980s all my friends were
skiers so I randomly walked into a sporting goods store and, with the help
of a salesperson, bought some skies, boots and bindings. I skied for a few
years and progressed from the bunny hills to steeper slopes and was never
in any way limited by that equipment choice. (My technician at the time
grew up in the Ogden Valley.  One day we were shooting the breeze and he
said that he skied his whole life but didn’t anymore and when I asked him
why he said; “because the ski slopes are full of guys like you who don’t
know what they’re doing”.)  I imagine that if I had stayed there and
continued to improve I would have replaced those skies with something into
which I put much more thought. Last week I was in REI with my wife and
while she shopped I took a look at the bikes.  I was thinking that if I was
in my 20s now, I would probably buy one of these light, skinny tire bikes
with the strangely shaped tubes and, like those skis, it would work fine
until I figured out enough about bike riding to thoughtfully replace it.