Ron, sorry, not true If you read the usual histories, notably Herlihy, the
technology developed tremendously over 3/4 of a century before reaching the
pneumatic tire, chain driven, equal-wheeled vehicle adopted by the
military, and further advances to this dominant type of "safety" were
largely made by tinkerers, tourists (and racers) as Jan Heine points out.
Military use was relatively minor, take all in all.

BSA was in fact better known for and probably even produced more bikes,
buses, motor bikes, and cars than its muskets, rifles, other guns, and
ammunition.

But they did develop the military bicycle:

"In 1941 BSA was approached to produce a new pedal cycle with a maximum
weight allowance of only 22 lb especially for airborne
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_forces> use. This required a new
concept in frame design which BSA found, producing a machine which weighed
21 lb, one pound less than the design specification and which also exceeded
the design requirement for an effective life of 50 miles many times over.
Over 60,000 folding bicycles
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_bicycle> were
produced, a figure equal to half the total production of military bicycles
during World War II."

Aside: interesting to me is the ferment in the middle of the 19th century
with McMillan and all the other backyard tinkerers in ironmongery who made
bi-s, tri-s, and quads pedaled by a variety of linkages.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:12 AM, Ron Mc <bulldog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> pretty much all of the 19th century bicycle advancements were made as part
> of military contracts
> http://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/1-welcome-to-the-bsa-museum/
>

> On Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:58:21 PM UTC-5, Fullylugged wrote:
>>
>> A riding companion mentioned this article while we were pedaling the
>> weekly Sunday Social ride today. It's a fast read, but evidence that people
>> were riding precursors to RBW bikes way back when..
>>
>> http://tubulocity.com/?p=64
>>
>  --

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis

*************************************
  * "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never
was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it.
Where is there a place for you to be? No place.*
* "Nothing outside you can give you any place," he said. "You needn't to
look at the sky because it's not going to open up and show no place behind
it. You needn't to search for any hole in the ground to look through into
somewhere else. You can't go neither forwards nor backwards into your
daddy's time nor your children's if you have them. In yourself right now is
all the place you've got. If there was any Fall, look there, if there was
any Redemption, look there, and if you expect any Judgment, look there,
because they all three will have to be in your time and your body and where
in your time and your body can they be?*
*  "Where in your time and your body has Jesus redeemed you?" he cried.
"Show me where because I don't see the place. If there was a place where
Jesus had redeemed you that would be the place for you to be, but which of
you can find it?”     -- Flannery O'Connor, Wise Blood  *