UPS not-so Surepost and FedEx not-so Smartpost are like the worst of both
services .  They both use UPS/FedEx repsectively, but sometimes the routing
gets messed up, which is one major cause of delays. Also, it gets lowest
priority. And since the PO has final delivery, it's always going to add at
*least* one day extra over Ground.  I've had Smartpost packages from the
REI warehouse in PA to my home 100 miles a way take a week. I've told REI
what I thought of these services .  .. lol.  With regular UPS packages take
2 days.

My take .  . .  . every retailer BE upfront of all methods of shipping and
the extra time involved.  Just because someone offers "free" shipping, does
not mean I the consumer must "just be thankful" and put up with it . "Free
shipping" is never truly "free", costs are built into the pricing of
everything in total and having a certain minimum to "qualify" is a way to
entice a customer to spend more than they had intended, but are lured by
the "I qualify !" and "free" carrots !  Oh. . the retail games !!  It's a
psychological game :)  All of it !