Michael,

Good thoughts.

It's not actually at the limit of the set screw, rather, the set screw is
in far enough that (ironically) it's quite difficult at times to shift into
the big ring.  At one point during my after-work ride yesterday, I was not
able to get it to climb into the big ring at all.  It was just grabbing at
the ramps but not jumping up.  Later I tried again and was able to shift
into the big ring without incident.  I tried to leave it in the big ring as
much as possible which is more doable with the 11-34 I recently installed.

I find that it's most likely to settle in under medium pedal pressure.  Too
light, and it doesn't climb at all, too heavy and it jumps right over.

But anyway I will start from scratch as soon as I get some time, which may
be after Saturday.  I have appointments the next three nights and then the
local RUSA group is doing an overnight 300K on Saturday night/Sunday
morning so I am loath go to messing with my front derailer the afternoon
before that.

If re-doing the set screws from scratch doesn't help I will try angling the
cage slightly, I'll come back and read the thread as to which way I am
supposed to angle it at that time.

I don't really relish the thought of bending the front derailer either,
since it seems to work well for other people.  However, if that is a viable
option I'd probably rather pay someone else to do it that has successfully
performed the modification before.

As for chains, with my old rear derailer I was shortening chains two links
out of the box when I installed them with the SRAM or KMC chains that I use
as they come with 116 links. With this new one and the 11-34 I left them
all on.  The front shifting is about the same either way.

I agree that nicer chainrings shift better in general, however, I had a TA
Carmina crankset installed before this and it overshifted with about the
same frequency.  Granted, it did shift better when it wasn't overshifting.
I could get shorter arms for the Carmina now that I have converted to 170mm
but I can get 3 complete XD600s for the cost of the 170 Carmina crankarms.

(yes I know, 170mm cranks seem incongrous with my height but I actually
like them plus there is a ground clearance issue with longer cranks with
the 650b conversion on my bike with 80mm BB drop)

Consulting with Rivendell is something I should do.  I don't probably think
that I would get Grant if I called on the phone, but I have talked to
several of the others before.  I'll be leaving for the Bay Area in a week
for 3CR and would like to visit the Rivendell World HQ anyway.  I have the
early part of the week before the ride available.