Indeed, there is a lot of confusion.  I just went through this myself,
sourcing some hammered Honjos for my new Jeff Lyon custom.  Not only are
the widths different, but so are the ends (sculpted versus plain), and some
models also come completely undrilled and with no hardware.  I ended up
with the hammered H50's, which measure 51-52mm, have the sculpted ends, and
came with no hardware or drillings. I sourced the hardware separately.
 Jitensha and Boulder were the two shops with these models, but I have no
idea whether Boulder's version is drilled or comes with hardware.  I got
mine from Jitensha.

This illustration might help:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/13626994354/in/faves-7516215@N03/

Anton