As I approach 70 (10/15) I am no longer looking for mountains to climb,
neither in life nor on the bike.  But once a year, I pull myself together,
square off with a brute and conquer it.

So yesterday, I did my now annual (two years in a row) ride up to Smugglers
Notch.  I took the Rambouillet but wasn’t sure it’s low double gearing
(30/28) would be enough, but it was.  When I got the Ram, (Sept of 2004 or
5) my first ride was an 80 mile trip to the top of the Appalachian Gap, a
beast of a climb with a fair stretch of 22% grade at the top.  I wanted to
celebrate this year with the Ram, again.  This climb goes up about 1700
feet in about 4 miles.  The first mile climbs 400 feet, then there's a
couple of miles of 1-2% grade before the last three miles, which gain about
1100 feet.

I always stop at the entrance to Smugglers Notch Ski resort, which is just
before the last three mile push, for a brief rest & water and then I stop
again about 1 1/2 mile later where it briefly flattens out.  Take on air
and water.  But this time I had to stop about a half mile or so before the
top to catch my breath, lower my heart rate, and rest my legs. I wondered
if a 24/27 wouldn't have required that stop.  That’s just before the final
12% up to the top. About this time I forgot two very important things.  Why
the hell I was doing this and which of the dam turns was the last one
before the top.  But I made it.  Shouldn't have done this on a Sunday, too
much traffic, but life has been very busy.

Took it easy on the way down, just sat up and coasted at 40 or so.  I feel
pretty good now on Monday morning.

Michael