I'm attempting a similar 27"-to-650b conversion at the moment, with Silvers
on a 1972 Raleigh Super Course. Early indications are that 700c is fine,
but there may not be enough reach to make it out to 650b. As for the nutted
brakes: I picked up my recessed Silvers at a Riv garage sale a couple of
years ago (missing the attachment fittings for the QRs, which I
cannibalized off salvaged brakes from bike kitchens). At the last Riv
garage sale in July, I found several pairs of huge Tektro sidepulls that
Grant IDed as parts for some abandoned project; Tektro lists them for beach
cruisers. Fortunately, they had nutted bolts, and Riv was selling them for
$5/pair. The bolts were not easy to get out of the brakes, but they fit the
Silvers just fine.

Peter in Berkeley