Yesterday was a real test of my commitment to fixed/ss riding -- I don't own
any multispeed bike; well, except the little drop frame Schwinn Sprint I got
at GW for my daughter's bike stable. And it was an example of how weight,
especially wheel weight, matters.
Anyway, yesterday morning I wanted to ride directly North to Mom's, which,
in the shortest route, is 8 miles away, with 4 miles of climbing, some of it
in steep 1/2 mile sections. And of course, we had a wind that (per NWS) was
low 20s gusting to low 30s. My '03 Curt road custom fixed has a 69" gear.
And, to boot, there is only 1 1/2 mile of more or less flat to warm up on;
and again, yesterday, against a strong wind.

I made it, and didn't even use the 60" bailout, but at the expense of going
very slowly; I think I averaged 10 mph, and I had to stand even in some of
the flatter sections. Now, if I had been riding my 35 lb Monocog (35 with
Nelson) I would have had to walk, even with the lower, 63" gear. The wheels
of the Riv - 559 Sun M14A rims at 360 grams, shod with 1" Turbos at 190
grams, are rather lighter than those on the Monocog with 780 gram Snowcat SL
rims and 900+ gram 60 mm Big Apples.

(The ride back home was faster, of course.)

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM