Peter

I'm interested in the way(s) you think Rivendell is diluting their brand by
offering a partially tig-welded bike.  Is it just the hypocrisy of saying
lugs lugs lugs all the time and now making an exception to save money makes
them look like sellouts, or something?  Does the presence of non-lugged
joints in the Riv lineup now make you personally less likely to buy a
Rivendell, because the brand is less pure?  Are you complaining that the
resale value of your own Rivendell has been damaged by the presence of some
tig joints?  Are you opining that the general cycling public will now think
less of Rivendell and that will harm their bottom line?

Personally I'm often a handwringer about Rivendell's balance sheet.  I like
the people, and I know what it's like to worry about the finances of a
small business, so I worry for them.  In my opinion, their best selling
bikes are always the cheapest bikes on the floor.  Visitors come in, they
dig the vibe, they like the people, they like that you can get a nice
comfortable reliable bike and not be race-vibed by the salespeople.  So you
buy the cheapest bike they offer because dang, they're expensive.  That
used to be a $2500 Hillborne.  Now it'll be a $1500 Clem Smith.  I worry a
little that they can only get through a certain number of bikes per year,
and the are going to drag down the average price, which might hurt their
bottom line.  I'm not worried about diluting the brand, but I'm not certain
how good a business decision the Clem Smith may be.  I bet it's a really
cool bike, and those who buy it will love it.