On 09/24/2014 05:01 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:
I'm talking about replacing the stock for on a LHT with the same exact fork with a longer steerer, if aging or injury (or whatever) makes it desirable to have higher bars. Upgrading to a more magical fork is another matter. Robert Pirsig had a famous book about a guy who drove himself insane trying to define "quality", so I won't try to argue whether or not a Surly fork is of the same quality as a Nitto stem.

But you certainly wouldn't argue that a Surly fork is the same quality as a Jeff Lyon fork, would you?

Interesting point about disposability. To an extent, you are right. This doesn't mean you're likely to wear out your LHT anytime soon, but let's say you wreck it somehow. No problem, for $400ish, you can get another one just like it tomorrow. For more precious frames, like your Longstaff or most Rivs, replacement will be more costly in terms of time and money.

If even possible. In the case of the Longstaff, impossible, since he passed away in 2003.

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for using a disposable tool on a mission that is apt to be potentially hazardous or at a minimum is likely to lead to rough handling, and touring can certainly be that. I'd rather use my Kogswell P/R for touring than my MAP Randonneur, even though Mitch Pryor does make a lovely add-on low-rider rack that mounts to the front bag support for the current generation of Randonneur Project bikes.

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:51:33 PM UTC-5, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    On 09/24/2014 04:36 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:
    > For a lot of us, the ideal of a lifetime bike isn't realistic.
    Tastes
    > often change faster than our bodies do. Anyway, I would point
    out that
    > a new Surly fork with uncut steerer isn't much more costly than a
    > Nitto quill stem. If you don't cut it too short at the beginning,
    > which a lot of people do (and regret), then there shouldn't be an
    > issue for many years.

    And a new fork of comparable quality to a Nitto stem will cost
    over six
    times as much, about as much as a new frame of comparable (or even
    superior) quality to the Surly frame, based on what we learned in the
    discussion of the Lyon forks.  Basically, I interpret all this as
    saying
    frames made for threadless forks should be considered disposable.
     And
    I'm sure there are plenty of production frames out there that
    legitimately could be considered disposable tools. Certainly the LHT
    qualifies.  But I don't consider a frame like my Longstaff a
    disposable
    tool.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW Owners Bunch" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>.