I ran the silver 9-speed Microshift thumb shifters on my MTB for two
seasons. The machining and quality of the clamp and levers is very nice and
they are a pleasure to look at. Mine were the index-only option and I
bought them from the cheapest Taiwanese source on Ebay. I also have heard
about the Surlys with the friction option but have never seen them in
person. A couple of observations:

On rough trails, the indexing stops were kind of light and I would
sometimes accidentally bump the right shifter with my knuckle and shift
when I didn't want to. Also, I was coming from using the newest XT and Sram
x-9 speed shifters and I was surprised at how when I switched to the
Microshift, my right thumb would get really sore after a Mt. ride from all
of the shifting. The ergonomics, that is, not having to lift your thumb
over the grip and bar to shift, are IMHO is vastly better on the newest
XT/XTR shifters. I know this is a very un-rivish opinion. I say this in
regards to mountain biking where you are having to shift a lot quickly and
in technical situations. I also say this as someone who used Suntour XC Pro
thumb shifters for many years of riding.

That said, I would happily put the Microshift thumb shifters on any
all-arounder or city bike without hesitation. Maybe approaching 50, my
thumbs aren't what they used to be. Suggestions for strengthening my
thumbs? Perhaps mounting tires on A23 rims each night?

Scott Calhoun
Tucson, Arizona