Today I went to check out a new run of MUP they are doing on my wife's
route to work. We ride together, and it is fun.
Anyway, I went down to the new bridge and MUP sections they are soon to
complete (hopefully). One section was still all gravel, and since I didn't
go down it before, I was curious to see how and where it will connect to
the existing MUP.

I took off down it and, wow, I don't know how you gravelly riders stay on
your bike on that stuff. Loose egg/palm sized gravel rocks were kicking my
back wheel sideways at times, and having me bouncing all over - wide
tires or no.

Maybe you guys who gravel grind do it on hard packed flattish stuff. But
the loose stuff/large rocks had me wondering how you guys get anywhere on
the stuff. I'll be the first to admit I have zero experience with
offroad/gravel riding. I was trying to pick lines on some almost packed
looking areas, but it was really tough to stay on the bike and go more than
2 miles an hour or so. This is a new project they are doing an maybe the
gravel just hasn't been own long enough to get packed enough to ride on it.

Got any tips?