Moi?

Thigh rub is part of it, though I've done some long tours with a Nelson
attached and it wasn't all *that* awful.  I just don't care for it.  Part
of it is also that I have my saddle shoved all the way back, so the
attachment to the seatpost doesn't work very well (and I have tried a
number of inventions for dealing with that).  I really like the *stylistic
*notion
of the saddlebag, it's just never felt like it was an ideal fit for me.  I
also think that they tend to be costly per cubic foot compared to panniers,
though perhaps a little less these days, since Carradice is no longer the
sole source.

I've found that for small loads (and now I can handle large ones) I like
handlebar bags better.  I can get into them without stopping, and there's
having a map case up front, which is a real plus in my book.  Panniers
provide additional storage when needed and keep the center of gravity low,
and have the advantage that they are well-shaped for what I want to carry
in them, be it a computer, groceries, or a pair of 13B dress shoes.

Dunno.  It's a matter of taste and particular use and, in the long run,
it's all good.  Whatever works for each of us!