I fully support the things that Surly is doing.  I even looked at an
XXL Ogre Disc the other day.  I've never seen a frame with so many
fork eyelets, and eyelets in general.  Can run 29x2.3 or
700Cx40-something with fenders.  Very versatile.  No, not as
attractive as a Rivendell, and probably doesn't ride as good, but if I
needed a vehicle to ride on a 3000 mile tour and I needed it ASAP, the
XXL Ogre would be hard to argue with.  MSRP is $1700 complete but my
shop said they could sell it to me for $1500.

Even if I had the time to wait for it, I don't think I could justify
replacing my custom Rivendell with another custom Rivendell should I
ever have a need to do so.  $3500 is a lot of bones.  Maybe a 71AHH,
but even that might be a stretch when there are many other nice steel
frames in the marketplace.  It would be hard to talk me out of a
Boulder All Road custom - tigged for $1685 or lugged for $1995.

A 64cm Sam Hillborne might have been my first choice but now that is
going out of production. :(

No matter though, I am happy with the 2 Rivendells that I now own and
hopefully won't have a need to replace them anytime soon.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Ron Mc <bulldog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly.  Garth beat me to it.  Remember Not Ready for Primetime Players?
> In a way, Surly is Not Ready for Rivendell.  It's tough to justify a $3000
> bike.  Surly is in a good place in the market.  The MegaBikeShops all carry
> Surly, so it's good see them as a serious steel bike entry in the throwaway
> mass market.  Not belittling the bike as much as our economy.  Grant builds
> an instant classic, by design, even by making every model a limited edition.
> Every Rivendell will always be great.
>

> On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:47:34 AM UTC-5, Garth wrote:
>>
>> Imitation is the greatest form of flattery

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!