On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:34:45 PM UTC-6, BSWP wrote:

> Can someone explain the top rear lug? It combines functions of joining top
> and seat tubes, and clamp for seat post, but also provides sockets for seat
> stays? Is that why the seat stays on the small and middle models are bent,
> so they cleanly fit into the top lug?
>

> On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:23:05 PM UTC-6, cyclot...@gmail.com wrote:

 I presume the seat stay sockets let it get built faster?

I'd assumed that the seat stay sockets were primarily to gain rear tire
clearance.  If you look at the centerfold photo in the last catalog, where
it was illustrated, you can see that the inside edge of the sockets sit a
good 1/4" to 1/2" outboard of the seat tube diameter.   Compared to a pair
of typical, brazed "spoon" ends, it sure seems to widen things up and yield
more space.    I suppose they could have achieved basically the same thing
by shaping the stays and curving them outward, but they clearly had notions
about bending them in a *different* direction.    I too would bet that
they save some fabrication time....... but then I recall where they were
mentioned in this post:
http://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/46520755775/long-shen-trip   This just made
the idea sound like a bad business decision, so I wonder if that gain in
efficiency alone would have been enough to make it worthwhile: