I give this answer to this question every year.
 The best winter active pant is from XC Sporthill, their cross country ski
pant. Period, no debate. :-)
http://www.sporthill.com/products2011.php?ProductGroup=2100
I use these for riding, xc-skiing, and hiking into the 20s. They last for
many years (decades? I'm on my second pair since 1996), stand up to saddle
wear well. Wash easy and dry quick.

They have a new (to me) pant with 'wind panels' in the front
http://www.sporthill.com/products2011.php?ProductGroup=2850

For temperatures ~5-20F I add some synthetic fishnet knickers underneath by
Brynje of Norway.
http://www.nordiclifeuk.co.uk/index.php/brynje-home?gclid=CLKrpo6OvsECFcKHaQodO18A-Q

For temperatures at or below zeroF, I add a nylon shall pant that has
zippers up the side of the legs.

On top I use a similar system (Brynje fishnet under Sporthill 3SP under a
nylon zip shell for the coldest skis/rides).
Or I use a Sporthill 3 SP top under a Ibex Breakaway jacket for windy cold.
 http://shop.ibex.com/Wool-Clothing/Mens-Vests-Jackets/Breakaway-II-Jacket

I use wool socks, hats and balaclava.
Gloves go from thin to thick to mittens. I have a pair of ski over-mitts
that fit nicely over my gloves and ski pole straps.
Boots get over-boots around 10F. Thicker socks are counter-productive and
colder.

MUSA pants don't even cut autumn temperatures. Thin, slick nylon doesn't
trap warmth and feels unpleasant against the skin. And my hairy legs build
up static in them; yuck.