Many of the issues brought up here are addressed (I address them) in the
book. Not to say that my addressing them carves them into even limestone,
but the book can speak for itself and me, and I'd hate for somebody to hear
"ketosis" or "diabetes" and assume that I'm wacky on either of those.
I think entres No. 82-83-84 make a compelling argument for a nutrient-dense
low-carb diet. One of those, summed up, goes like this: We have a digestive
system nearly identical to the digestive system of every carnivore. It's a
simple, one-stomach chamber system (monogastric). It lacks the enzymes and
complexity needed to digest cellulose, the structural component of
plants---which isn't to say we don't digest any of them, but we cannot
digest cellulose without the enzyme cellulase, and we carnivores make at
most just tiny amounts of that.
Herbivores digest cellulose by fermenting it. In a ruminant (cow, deer),
the first stomach chamber is the biggest, and its purpose is fermenting the
roughage, breaking it down. Then it gets belched up and chewed again as a
cud, mixed with more enzymes ...then is swallowed and sent through more
machinery that we don't have, and after a long trip thru the large
intestine, additional digestion by fermentation takes place in the cecum.
Apes have a cecum, because they eat roughage and need it.
Our appendix is a devolved/atrophied cecum. It's about as big around as a
ball point pen or a fat pencil, and is two to six inches long, typically,
and its chamber is narrow...and food can get in there, but sometimes
doesn't get out, and then we get appendicitis or something else.
The point is, over the nearly 3 million years of evolution, from ape to
Homo whatever, a diet largely of heinous meat has allowed our digestive
system to reconfigure to what it is now: Carnivoristic. It's so much like a
dog's.

People've been eating plants in large quantities for at most 11,000 years.
Middle easterners have the longest exposure to carbs, and as a defense,
they've evolved saliva with a higher concentration of amylase in it, which
predigests the starch before it triggers a huge glucose response. But carbs
(in mass qty) came to Africans and Native Americans and Mexicans and some
others much later, and they have not had time to adapt. It's not a
white-and-black difference, though---the "high amylase" spit is still no
match for the juices an processes an herbivore has to digest roughage.
And even with all that roughage-digesting machinery, the digestion is so
incomplete that they have to eat constantly to fuel themselves for even the
most lazy lives (in the case of a cow). And they poop constantly, to make
room for more food. They're digesting machines, but inefficient ones at
that.

A human on a high-fiber/plant-based diet is at a serious disadvantage.
We've evolved the ability to communicate, but throw into that mix the
influences of marketing and commerce and ego and all that, and it's no
wonder we're confused.

My book has no original thoughts, thank goodness. I didn't cogitate on
stuff and make sense of it in my head before putting it on paper and
declaring it truth. The information is out there and has been out there for
decades. The past twenty years or so have taught us a lot more, and now the
level of understanding how it works is quite high.

There are ethical arguments on both sides, and I address some of those,
too. Maybe all of them. But for me, it comes down to this: People and the
animals fed by people are the only animals on earth that eat food that is
incompatible with their digestive system. Many, not all, of the problems we
have are nearly unique to people, and some of those problems might be
related to eating funky food.

In the book I try to simplify things. Since I'm simple - minded, it came
natural to me.
At eatbacondontjog.com I show fantastic food fotos of some actual meals.
Many contain leaves...even though I don't thoroughly digest them. On that
site you'll also see we have an anagram contest going. Scroll down a few
posts. Kind of fun.

eatbacondontjog.com