I think practically, it makes no difference at all.  The amount of weight
that a small front rack has to hold is not enough to test the limits of the
strength of the two different triangulation geometries of the two mounting
approaches.

Personally I think if the bike already has canti studs, the additional
barrels just make the upper fork area look cluttered and are somewhat
unnecessary.  On non-canti equipped bikes, the barrels make perfect sense.
 However, on non-canti equipped bikes, the brake bolt hole is not available
for a direct bolt-up because there is a caliper brake installed. On those
bikes, the upper rack mount has to be a bracket or welded rack tang that
bolts to the existing brake caliper bolt.

Anton