Tim, at the cross race I was out last weekend, three guys were racing fat
bikes.
http://tinyurl.com/kmfmxwb
The heavy bike excuse doesn't cut it!!! :-)

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Tim Gavin <tim.ga...@littlevillagemag.com>
wrote:

> Jan-
>
> I appreciate cyclocross, but don't participate.  I think it reflects my
> attitude about racing, which is shared by many in the list.  I'm an
> unracer.  I'm not competitive and prefer to have fun in a group instead of
> compete with them.
>
> Cyclocross is intimidating.  I appreciate that it's less so than other
> bike racing, but it's still an intimidating atmosphere.
>
> Cyclocross racing is still difficult to get into.  The courses are
> temporary and generally not open for practice.  The bikes are specific
> (though at least versatile for other types of riding).
>
> Cyclocross is expensive.  Travel and entry fees add up.
>

> That said, I think cyclocross is super cool.  I've attended the Jingle
> Cross (which is local for me) and had a good time watching people get dirty
> and have fun.
>
> I've considered trying out the Amateur race, but I lack:
> 1) practice on actual cyclocross courses.  I'd rather ride with friends
> than train for cross.  None of my friends race cross, so I'd have to ride
> solo or find new friends.
> 2) a good, rule compliant bike.  I have 5 bikes that cover all my riding
> needs, but none of them would be very suitable.
> - Gofast? No, 700x25 max.
> - Riv Road?  No, too low of BB, sidepulls, too heavy.  700x25 max or
> 650x38 (no cross tires in that size).
> - Schwinn KOM?  Way too heavy at 35#, but otherwise would work.
> - Fat bike?  Heavy, slow.
> - 26er MTB?  Too slow.
> 3) fitness.  I'm 220# and can ride fast all day, but the strain of racing
> is a whole other level.
>
> I'm not into racing, so I'm not driven to train to compete.  Based on the
> folks I see at Jingle Cross, it seems like cross racing is goof-off racing
> for racers, not racing for goof-offs.  I'm glad those racers can have fun!
>
> My challenges with Cyclocross are kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.  I.e.,
> I'd have cross friends and bike if I raced cross; but I don't, so I don't.
> The race crowd here is as unapproachable as anywhere.
>
> A country bike ramble is more up my alley.  Like many on the list, I'm not
> a racer.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Jan Heine <hein...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Just a heads-up for our little contest - guess how much mud my 'cross
>> bike hauled around at the end of last weekend's race. The best guess wins a
>> 1-year subscription to *Bicycle Quarterly*.
>>
>> I haven't seen much discussion of cyclocross here, even though it seems
>> like it would appeal to many here - it's fun and exhilarating, and compared
>> to any other forms of racing, there is little or no pressure or
>> snobbish-ness. I've been racing my Alan - friction shifting, bar-ends,
>> lugged frame - and everybody seems to love the classic bike. More about the
>> bike and contest here:

> [...]

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal