I carry three 28 oz bottles in my Hunqapillars bottle cages, and one empty
100oz. water bladder which I've cut the outbound hose very short on. I've
done sections of various trails that have a day or two between water, and
am very thankful I don't go through very much compared with most folks.
What is really challenging is when a water spot your were counting on in
dry for whatever reason (despite checking as much as possible online and
using guides). That makes for a long 15 miles slog up and over the next
pass.

The most challenging section I've done was a section on the Great Divide
MTB trail. I misread the map (and was using a very poor one without too
lines at that) and thought I followed a stream up a valley. Instead I
climbed a ridge that dropped to a stream way below, with no access. That
led to an entire area with plenty of water, but none of it potable because
of natural heavy metal deposits. I did get water after riding many steep
miles and hours dry, though I don't remember exactly how (because I met
someone who gave me water, I believe), then ran out again the next day
until I was out of the non-potable area. A solution presents itself and is
part of the adventure. Plan ahead as much as you reasonably can, then go
anyway! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick